There are an enormous range of skills and activities continuing in our church community – not just services and events but backroom administration and finances, cleaning, gardening, AND maintaining our historic buildings. There is youth and children’s work and music – both with the choir and in the bell tower. There are no end of ways in which you can join in.
Unsurprisingly, we’re a friendly bunch so you will always receive the warmest of welcomes and there are so many roles that there’s most definitely a place for you in our community. We guarantee volunteering at St Thomas’ is satisfying and rewarding. Here’s a selection of what our volunteers do (and what you can too!)
You might like to be involved in our Heritage Work, as a
- Tour guide – learn about the history of Stourbridge’s most iconic building, and share your knowledge with one of the many groups that visit the church each year.
- Gardening – Our church garden is a haven from the bustle and is the only green community space in Stourbridge Town Centre. If you’ve green fingers, you might want to join our friendly team who keep the garden shipshape.
- The Fabric Committee – As a member of the committee you can help maintain, conserve and develop the buildings and contents to ensure they can be enjoyed by all for generations to come.
If you are musical..
- Join our choir either for an occasional special service or more regularly on Sundays.
- if you play an instrument – we’d love you to play for us.
- A Campanologist? If you’d like to join the band of bell-ringers, get in touch. We’ve a fine ring of 12 bells in the tower.
If you’re not musical – but love music..
- We’re always in need of chaperones for the choir – part of our commitment to safeguarding and protecting the children of our church.
Perhaps you’re artistic in other ways..
- Do you arrange flowers?
- Are you good with a needle and thread?
There’s always something to do.
As a member of one of our congregations you might like to take a role..
- in leading Worship – reading from the Bible or leading the prayer.
- working behind the scenes on preparing the church for worship or serving at the altar.
- or front-of-house, offering hospitality with our congregational Welcome Teams.
A Passion for young people?
- St Thomas’ has large Scouting and Girl-Guiding groups – always looking for an extra pair of hands.
Or perhaps you’re more of a back-room person?
- We’re always fundraising – both for ourselves and causes within the UK and overseas.
Some of the roles require our volunteers to be adults but most of them are open to all ages. Many of us wear a number of hats and we’d love to impart our knowledge to others for the benefit of the community. If you’re interested and would like to have a chat to us or shadow our volunteers please, please contact us.
There is always a vacancy in every aspect of our life and ministry. Just ask to join in.