Could you be a chorister at St Thomas’ Church?
Young singers, aged 7-18 come from Stourbridge and the surrounding area and attend a variety of local schools. You do not need any previous experience, just a love of music and an interest in singing.
What are the benefits?
- Performing great music led and taught by professional musicians
- Taking part in concerts, recordings and tours
- A recognised awards scheme
- Helping to stay healthy through regular singing
- Enjoying being part of a team and forming lasting friendships
- A free, outstanding musical education: many former choristers have gone on to academic success and good careers in music
Do I have to pay?
No – the cost of choristers’ musical education is met entirely by St Thomas’ Church. What’s more, choristers are actually paid a small allowance which rewards regular attendance and good work.
Do I have to be a churchgoer?
No – there is no requirement to be a Christian to join the choir. We welcome young people from all backgrounds.
What’s the commitment?
The choir sings regularly during term-time, with some extra commitments at Christmas and Easter. Inevitably there may be clashes with other activities and we try to be flexible wherever possible. The main thing is that you are fully committed to the choir and its responsibilities.
All the choristers rehearse on Tuesday and Friday evenings. A schedule is published before the start of each term, giving the choir’s complete timetable so that any clashes can be spotted and resolved in good time.
What about adult singers?
We have vacancies for alto (male or female) and tenor/bass (male) singers and would be delighted to welcome you to the team. The adults sing for Friday rehearsals and Sunday services.
I’d like to join – what do I do next?
Get in touch our Parish Office.